Sunday, March 2, 2014

Inferno


I notice that I, like most landscape photographers, am always chasing the good light, and when it comes it is a matter of not ruining everything by forgetting some crucial setting on the camera....or....like me setting up the camera totally askew (since when this image was taken I have learned to use the level on the camera). Notably when I go low I become cross-eyed. I was so disappointed when I saw the raw file. I had to crop off almost one third of the image to get a straight horizon. And, besides this the raw file didn't look particularly promising - it looked flat and dull.

I had basically decided to discard the file, but for some reason I decided to give it a chance and loaded it into Photoshop. After four layers I said "wow". Then Photoshop crashed and I almost drove my fist through the screen in sheer frustration. Only one thing to do; begin from scratch again.

The image was captured the first of Feb. The clouds that arrived on the scene the last minutes before the sun disappeared behind the hill turned what could have been a "boring" sunset into a spectacular one. The good light only lasted about ten minutes, so, again, the stress level was high.

181 secs f11 Iso 100 17mm (that is, it was 17mm until I had to crop it)

No comments:

Post a Comment